Meet Our Periodontist: James L. Dickson, DDS
“I always wanted to be a dentist. As a 5-year-old child, I had a wonderful dentist who inspired me. After I graduated from dental school and practiced general dentistry for 12 years, I found that the periodontal cases really held my interest. I knew that periodontics was my next move, and I approached my specialty training with great enthusiasm.
As a periodontist, I had the opportunity to work overseas for a foreign royal family as the Director of Dental Services. During this time, I traveled extensively and provided dental and periodontal services for several VIPs and their families. This was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but I am glad to be back at home helping the people in our community take care of their oral health.
Being an Assistant Clinical Professor, I have the opportunity to instruct periodontal residents in the latest treatment methods available. I also offer continuing education and ‘lunch and learn’ courses for several local dental offices on a regular basis. This helps to ensure that their own patients receive the excellence in oral healthcare they deserve.
I think I would like to always do what I do. Periodontics will always be fascinating to me, mostly because it helps people get their healthy smiles back. I am happy to be a part of this.” – Dr. James Dickson
Education & Training:
- Residency: Periodontology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- Doctor of Dental Surgery: University of Tennessee Health Center College of Dentistry, Memphis, TN
- Undergraduate Degree: BS, University of Memphis, Tennessee
Honors & Awards:
- Assistant Clinical Professor: Vanderbilt University College of Medicine, Nashville, TN; University of Kentucky College of Dentistry, Lexington, KY
- Award Recipient: Outstanding Teacher Award – University of Kentucky; Continuing Education Awards – Tennessee Dental Association
- American Academy of Periodontology – Education Committee
- Southern Academy of Periodontology
- Tennessee Society of Periodontists
- American Dental Association
- Tennessee Dental Association
- 6th District Dental Society
- Nashville Dental Society